- Home >
Human Resources is the key to creating a zero injury culture
While workplace health and safety policies and procedures are developed in response to a myriad of local and federal laws, they fall short when they do not influence employee behavior. Through IWCP’s comprehensive workers’ compensation training, Certified WorkComp Advisors work with HR professionals to build a “zero injury culture” that leads to higher employee morale, increased productivity, and reduced hiring and training costs.
How CWCAs help build a zero injury culture:
- Put in place hiring practices designed to avoid hiring a Workers’ Comp claim waiting to happen. Hiring practices that include post-offer/pre-placement steps can make a difference. Get the forms here.
- Encourage a culture of openness and transparency among management, supervisors and employees.
- Educate supervisors in how a “just get it done” attitude leads to unsafe practices.
- Establish workers’ compensation training for supervisors: Having the right skills to manage the human issues and work environment as well as the injury. Employees who work for trained supervisors have less lost work time.
- Set up injury reporting and investigation procedures that work efficiently and effectively.
- Implement return to work programs that everyone embraces.
- Develop management commitment that goes beyond lip service.
- Navigate the minefield of confusing overlaps in FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Comp.
- Recruit and retain the best employees who care about their own well being and the well being of co-workers.
- Benchmark and measure regularly. When team members know management cares, they care.
- Recognize the Red Flags that could signify fraudulent injuries. Click here.